The Production Manager owns the production schedule, resource estimates, and the timing and logistics around the deployment of those valuable assets. Their work is intimately interwoven with the creative responsibilities carried by the director (or lead creative personnel) and the two must work as a team.
They are a hands-on professional that has an intimate knowledge of the production pipeline and the people in it. This position works reports to the Line Producer unless otherwise specified and is typically involved in one production at a time, depending on scope and the individual’s ability to multi-task.
At the beginning of a project, they will conduct a detailed analysis on the creative requirements and, in collaboration with the Line Producer and Director of Production, build it into a set of assumptions, a schedule, and a staffing plan. Thereafter they will reassess the needs of the production on a weekly basis and communicate with both internal and external stakeholders.
Works closely with the Line Producer and Director of Production (and any other key people) to build effective solutions to all exigent circumstances that threaten the production schedule.
The production manager works on projects of different scopes and complexities and plays a pivotal role in preventing problems and enabling innovation. Considering the number of people that they interact with; the production manager is a key player in building and sustaining a healthy and positive company culture.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Direct and manage Production Coordinators and Assistants in the gathering of critical data from the various departments.
- Update schedules and provide a summary analysis to the Line Producer.
- As required, collaborate with Line Producer to complete financial data for accounting.
- Support the Line Producer and Director of Production in strategy planning for potential projects; creating schedules & assumptions based on creative materials and data from previous productions.
- Undertake both mid-production analysis and post-mortems.
- Work with the Line Producer, Director of Production, and the Talent Acquisition Team to cast talent according to the needs of the production.
- Make tactical decisions around the deployment of manpower or talent to improve the effectiveness of the pipeline.
- When necessary, escalate issues to the Line Producer with the intent to collaborate on a solution rather than pass ownership.
- Manage and optimize the workflow by meeting regularly with the various departments to discover and drive improvements in process and methodology.
- Track the production’s key milestones and deliverables (including marketing material), starting with a read through of the relevant PSA sections with the production management team.
- Exercise superior leadership, collaborative behaviour, and effective communication skills to ensure that all crew members understand their assignments and what is needed of them for the production to remain healthy and efficient.
- Cooperate with various stakeholders in the organization and other production teams to track and manage data across shows in production.
- Various other duties as the Line Producer assigns them.
Skills & Qualifications:
- Minimum 3 years of animation production experience.
- Previous experience managing and tracking against a schedule.
- Previous experience successfully managing multiple departments.
- Previous experience working with Shotgrid is a requirement.
- Previous experience scheduling, monitoring and reporting on tasks.
What about benefits?
- Employees have access to our comprehensive benefit plan that includes Health and Dental coverage, Life Insurance, and Travel Insurance.
- Our Employee Assistance Program provides each employee and their family members access to free psychological assistance and counseling service in person, online or by phone 24/7.
- Plan for your future by taking advantage of our RRSP plan. The longer you’re with us, the more we’ll match the amount you contribute!
Ready to join our team?
Click the "Apply for this Job" button at the bottom of this ad and let's start creating together!
Mercury Filmworks places as great an emphasis on recruiting for character and fit as it does on core skills and experience. Qualified candidates that meet ALL the characteristics above are encouraged to apply regardless of where they live. All candidates must be willing to test in advance of an interview. Mercury Filmworks is an equal opportunity employer, and by equal, we really mean equal. We have no preferences or bias beyond the professional qualifications.