About Mercury Filmworks:
Mercury Filmworks is one of Canada's most prolific independent studios and is internationally recognized as a leader in the animation industry for its benchmarks in quality, reliability, and innovation. Mercury has helped bring to life many of the most memorable, modern animated television and film properties. This position is an excellent opportunity to live and play in Canada’s beautiful national capital area while building a career at one of the most respected animation studios in the industry. We are looking for great people that value quality, innovation and a company with an uncompromising vision for the future of its artists and employees.
Mercury Filmworks is looking for an experienced Storyboard Supervisor to join our team in Ottawa. We are looking for a person that wants to help us create lasting "moments", values the power of visual storytelling and wants to push to tell stories.
Job Description: The successful candidate will have an exceptional track record with at least 1 to 3 years as a Storyboard Supervisor . This is a role with a wide and all-inclusive scope of responsibilities that run from supervising a team and working alongside the director during the storyboarding and animatic process.
- Work closely with Director and production team
- Launch storyboards with Storyboard Artists and Director
- Review boards from Storyboard Artists and with Director and provide Storyboard artists with revision notes
- Attend edit reviews and provide storyboarding solutions to address Client comments on animatic with the Director and delegate revisions to revisionists
- Responsible for generating new panels and executing board revisions if time is available, otherwise delegate revisions to revisionists
- Communicate progress of work to creative supervisors and to appropriate production staff
- Communicate expectations to revisionists and freelance storyboard artists effectively by providing notes and support teams where needed
- Oversee delivery of Storyboard elements to Edit team for animatic launch
- Maintain production schedule and warn production team if deadlines are not achievable and propose solutions to production to meet deadlines/address workload
- Must have a good mix of aesthetic sensibilities and technical experience in 2D animated series production
- Foster an atmosphere of cooperation and communication.
- Help manage stress levels within the storyboard creative team by being a cool cucumber, a duck above water
- Be a leader within the Storyboard team to mentor and inspire revisionists to help them improve in their work so that they can become more autonomous and deliver to the expectations
- To supervise, facilitate, and quality control the creation of storyboards by story artists from rough thumbnail to final clean, with oversight through each step of the way.
- To provide rough thumbnail breakdowns of complicated sequences or important beats for story artists to follow in advance of episode launch.
- To participate in internal episodic story launches.
- To create script notes for the storyboard artists and revisionists.
- To be highly creative and story driven within tight deadlines.
- To organize the flow of assets to the editor
- To oversee and manage storyboard revisionists' assignments
- 1-3 years of experience in the role as a Storyboard Supervisor
- Knowledge of 2D animation techniques and pipeline
- Proficient in Storyboard Pro
- Well-developed drawing, animation & comedic timing and composition skills
- Able to prioritize appropriately and meet deadlines
- Strong problem solving skills, both creatively and logistically
- Strong communication skills; verbal, nonverbal and written
- Professional and positive attitude
- Previous supervising experience required
- Strong attention to detail as well as organizational skills
- Passion for storytelling, sketching, conceptualizing and developing characters
- A desire and ability to lead, mentor and motivate a team of Storyboard Artists to ensure quality storytelling in a timely manner
- An ability to work efficiently
- Experience in managing others
What about benefits?
- Employees have access to our comprehensive benefit plan that includes Health and Dental coverage, Life Insurance and Travel Insurance
- Our Employee Assistance Program provides each employee and their family members access to free psychological assistance and counselling service in person, online or by phone 24/7
- Plan for your future by taking advantage of our RRSP plan. The longer you’re with us, the more we’ll match the amount you contribute!
Small Print: Mercury Filmworks places as great an emphasis on recruiting for character and fit as it does on core skills and experience. Qualified candidates that meet ALL the characteristics above are encouraged to apply regardless of where they live. All candidates must be willing to test in advance of an interview. Mercury Filmworks is an equal opportunity employer, and by equal, we really mean equal. We have no preferences or bias beyond the professional qualifications.