Mercury Filmworks is currently seeking experienced Background Artists to join our team in Ottawa. This position is an excellent opportunity to work on memorable and creatively satisfying shows with over 250 of Canada’s most passionate designers, painters and directors. Help us bring colour and light to shows like the Emmy and Annie Award winning series Hilda, a new Netflix original series created and directed by Craig McCracken, plus many other exciting, yet to be announced projects from both Netflix and Disney! Give your career the creative spark it’s been needing and let’s create incredible things together.
· Review the animatic, storyboard and background keys, to ensure painted scenes follow continuity and fulfill the creative needs of each episode.
· Digitally paint provided layouts to accurately match the style and artistic direction of each episode.
· Collaborate with the Background Supervisor in regard to weekly or biweekly paint assignments.
· Ensure that production deadlines are met while maintaining the highest standard of quality.
· Follow the proper naming conventions established by the production pipeline.
Requirements and Qualifications:
· College degree from an accredited Animation Program or equivalent.
· 2 years of experience as a Background Painter on an animated production.
· Portfolio should show an aptitude for environment design or landscape painting.
· Highly skilled using Photoshop and the ability to troubleshoot software challenges.
· Understanding of lighting, cast shadows and atmospheric perspective is a must.
· Professional communication skills, able to take direction and work within a production schedule.
· Applicant must be a Canadian citizen and a resident of Ontario.
Ready to join our team?
Click the "Apply for this Job" button at the bottom of this ad and let's start creating together!
Mercury Filmworks places as great an emphasis on recruiting for character and fit as it does on core skills and experience. Qualified candidates that meet ALL the characteristics above are encouraged to apply regardless of where they live. All candidates must be willing to test in advance of an interview. Mercury Filmworks is an equal opportunity employer, and by equal, we really mean equal. We have no preferences or bias beyond the professional qualifications.
Your application was submitted successfully.