Mercury Filmworks is currently seeking a full-time Talent Acquisition Manager to join our HR team in Ottawa. This is a 12 month contract with the potential for permanency. Reporting to the EVP, Creative & Artistic Development, this individual will build the recruiting department from the ground up and will work closely with senior leadership to identify and execute on strategies that will help the company meet its short, mid and long-term recruitment goals. The Talent Acquisition Manager will own and drive the full recruitment cycle while being the face of Mercury Filmworks to the outside world, and representing the studio in a positive and enthusiastic manner.
This is a high visibility position that works with both internal and external partners including festivals, industry event organizers, universities and colleges across Canada. The Talent Acquisition Manager must maintain a flexible work schedule to meet the demands of connecting with talent in different time zones. The primary talent pool is Canadian but some travel may be required and the differences in time zones will necessitate a high degree of flexibility.
The Talent Acquisition Manager conveys and inspires a professional and positive image and attitude regarding Mercury Filmworks and its subsidiaries, related parties, and business partners.
- Develop and maintain a detailed understanding of the regional, provincial, national and international animation talent pools.
- Build a full cycle recruiting department that includes protocols for sourcing, interviewing, references checking, and negotiating offers.
- Develop robust recruitment strategies and action plans. Track industry trends and factor them into the company’s recruitment strategies.
- Develop and train internal stakeholders on interview and candidate selection techniques.
- Advise the informal compensation committee on the competitiveness of the company’s offerings and suggest changes where necessary.
- Create and maintain an applicant tracking system.
- Provide monthly reports to the management team in regard to recruitment initiatives and performance
- Build and maintain supportive/collaborative relationships with the production management teams, senior and lead artists, and the broader company management team in order to understand the skills currently within the studio and where additional skill sets might be needed.
- Collaborate with the key people managing the company’s website and social media presence to create more powerful messaging that targets the talent pool.
- Take ownership of the existing online applicant portal. Develop best practices and train people in those where necessary.
- Write and update job postings.
- Collaborate with the EVP, Creative & Artistic Development to grow and develop Mercury’s internship and outreach programs.
- Represent Mercury Filmworks at major conferences and industry events in order to attract identify and recruit new talent.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- 3+ years in a similar role directing and/or managing recruitment strategies.
- Demonstrated knowledge of a variety of sourcing channels.
- Strong decision-making, negotiation and closing skills.
- The ability to focus, prioritize and multi-task in a fast-paced, high-energy environment.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Media design skills (direction and editorial) as required to support the creation of visually dynamic advertising.
- Strong copywriting skills with which to craft a unique voice for recruiting outreach (supports having strong communication and presentation skills)
- Post secondary degree or diploma in Human Resources Management.
- Ability to travel occasionally and work outside normal business hours.
- Practical Photoshop/Illustrator and graphic design skills would be incredibly helpful to the successful candidate.
Key Performance Indicators
- Increase the hiring ratio of new employees on-boarded to the number of applicants. This demonstrates targeting accuracy.
- Increase the retention rate of new hires. This demonstrates the element of “hiring for long term fit” as well as the overall efficiency of our candidate selection techniques.
The extent to which the production management team and senior management feels the company is being supported with the number and quality of new hires.
Mercury Filmworks places as great an emphasis on recruiting for character and fit as it does on core skills and experience. Qualified candidates that meet ALL the characteristics above are encouraged to apply regardless of where they live. All candidates must be willing to test in advance of an interview. Mercury Filmworks is an equal opportunity employer, and by equal, we really mean equal. We have no preferences or bias beyond the professional qualifications.