Mercury Filmworks is looking for an experienced Art Director to join our team in Ottawa. This position is an excellent opportunity to live in Canada’s beautiful capital city while working alongside our creative team to inspire and lead the visual direction of a 2D production. We genuinely believe in attracting the best and brightest for our team, creating the most engaging and impressive animated productions. We're looking for someone with a proven track record of creative leadership, interpersonal skills, and animation production experience who shares those ideals and wants to help lead our company into the future.
The successful candidate will have an exceptional track record with at least 5 years of hands on experience as an art director or with related work experience. This is a key leadership role that partners with the Producer, Line Producer, Production and Director to execute the creative vision of the show while working within the schedule and budget for the series. Responsibilities run from leading the design department to generating artwork in areas which may include character, environment and props, to establishing mood, lighting, and helping communicate story concepts.
- Set the visual style of the series, creating conceptual and production artwork.
- Provide clear and detailed direction to your design team on every assignment
- Manage Director and Creator/EP expectations
- Review designs and ensure they're of the highest quality and to production and client standards
- Review episodes in different stages of production to ensure the show’s look is maintained
- Communicate effective and production-friendly solutions to design problems
- Oversee design team, delegating work and monitoring their schedules to create and maintain consistency with the design of the project
- Approve all color backgrounds and color created by the color stylists for the characters, props and effects
- Attend breakdown meetings and give input from the Art Department’s point of view
- Read Outlines/Scripts, attend Storyboard pitches and Animatic reviews, flagging potential complexity or design issues
- Minimum 5 years of related work experience is required.
- Strong skills in character design, location design, composition and colour.
- Must be able to lead, mentor and motivate a team of artists to ensure quality in a timely manner.
- Must be highly creative and story driven with the ability to work within tight deadlines.
- Ability to align with style and sensibility of show.
- Positive attitude with the ability to be flexible.
- Excellent organizational, verbal, written, e-social skills and acumen.
- A broad knowledge of artistic styles and latest technology is an asset.
- Knowledge of drawing software that includes Photoshop, Illustrator, Harmony and 3D technology, where applicable.
What about benefits?
- Employees have access to our comprehensive benefit plan, after a brief probationary period, that includes Health and Dental coverage, Life Insurance and Travel Insurance.
- Our Employee Assistance Program provides each employee and their family members access to free psychological assistance and counselling service in person, online or by phone 24/7.
- Plan for your future by taking advantage of our RRSP plan. The longer you’re with us, the more we’ll match the amount you contribute!
Small Print: Mercury Filmworks places as great an emphasis on recruiting for character and fit as it does on core skills and experience. Qualified candidates that meet ALL the characteristics above are encouraged to apply regardless of where they live. All candidates must be willing to test in advance of an interview. Mercury Filmworks is an equal opportunity employer, and by equal, we really mean equal. We have no preferences or bias beyond the professional qualifications.